Wednesday 6 May 2009

Involvement values and attitudes

This lecture was about how different values and attitudes effect and impact on the way advertising is undertaken and used.

When we purchase a product we all show different types of behaviour towards different products depending on how important they are I.e. when you purchase a holiday it will take longer than purchasing a can of cola.

Values - 'A belief about some desirable end-state that transcends specific situations and guides selection of behaviour' (Solomon).
'An enduring belief that a specific mode of conduct or end-state of existence is personally or socially preferable to an opposite or converse mode of conduct or end-state of existence' (Rokeach, 1973).

Khale in 1983 looked at peoples lives and created a list of major events in there life which may have impacted upon them and changed their value systems. I am now going to create my own timeline of events in which I feel have shaped and moulded my value system

My timeline of events in which I feel have impacted upon my life

11th 08 1990 - Born
25th 12 1994 - Got Sega mega drive
20th 06 1995 - learned to ride
24th 01 1999 - Granddad Dies
24th 02 1999 - Grandma Dies
17th 01 2001 - Brother Born
11th 08 2008 - 18th birthday
18th 08 2008 - first holiday without parents
04th 11 2008 - got puppy

The major impact in my life was the death of my grandparents in which I feel has left me very cold-hearted, by this I mean I am very reluctant to form deep relationships out side of my immediate family (mum, dad and brother). The other major impact was my little brother being born this made me feel nervous as suddenly I became a role model and had extra responsibility and this makes me feel like I have to succeed to make him proud of me.

Laddering

We found a technique that allows us to find individual terminal values. Terminal values are the reasons behind why people actually do something e.g. purchase a specific product.
Good points about using laddering are…
Marketers can get a usp for there product
See the wants of the consumer

An example of laddering

Find out how their market thinks and acts


So as you can see it is a good and effective way of finding out how your customers think and the reasons they do things which they can then use to help advertise and sell their products

No comments: